Thursday, March 5, 2009

Peanut butter and more.





Greetings Readers,
It has been awhile since my last post, fortunately not for lack of material. My focus of this evening's blog will be two meals that stick out the most in my recent memory. 
1) Cowgirl: A restaurant in the west village with southwestern/ southern style food. The portions here were bigger (Texas-sized) than an average NYC meal and the menu had quite an expansive selection. I ordered the veggie trio, which consisted of a baked potato, veggie chili, and a fantastic southwestern Caesar salad. The salad had some corn, tortilla chip strips, red peppers, and a peppery caesar dressing. The main dish was very enjoyable at Cowgirl, but the dessert is what sticks out the most prominently in my mind. 
I had read up on Cowgirl before attending to learn that they have one of the best brownies in the city. I don't know if it's true, because it's the only brownie I've had in the city, but I know that it was incredible. It was hot and fudgy and dense, not cakey at all, and amazingly chewy. It came with a huge dollop of homemade whipped cream on the side that was as thick as yogurt. Three of us split this brownie along with another dessert- red velvet cake. I've never been much of a red velvet cake eater, but I'm glad that Caley ordered this piece. It was OUTRAGEOUS. The frosting was perfect- cream cheese, not overly sweet, and spread in a perfect layer that didn't weigh the whole cake down. The cake was moist and light and had a good crumb to it. Those desserts sent me into a sugar high/ coma that lasted a good hour and a half. I would go back for more, but decided to give up sweets for lent. I feel good about this decision, mostly because these desserts were my last before the lenten season began. 

2) My next eating adventure was one I had been excited to try since I'd heard about it: Peanut butter and Co. I ordered the Elvis- a grilled concoction on wheat with creamy PB, sliced bananas, and honey. Pretty much my favorite things altogether in one jumbo sized sandwich. Caley ordered the Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Sandwich. This one has cinnamon raisin peanut butter (One of the company's signature varieties) with vanilla cream cheese and crispy green apples. We traded halves and had both. Peanut butter lover's heaven right there. Although I don't think I could've eaten a whole cinnamon raisin sammy, due to the sweetness of the vanilla cream cheese. It was delicious, do not be mistaken, but very rich. If we get PB and Co. again, I might go with the standard PB & J, Ants on a Log (not a sandwich, but the traditional celery), or Jerry Seinfeld's special: toasted bagel with PB, honey, and cinnamon. PB & Co. even has a special weekly sandwich. If I wasn't on a dessert break, I might go for a PB brownie or Death by peanut butter Sundae. This combo of "3 scoops of ice cream on a bed of Cap n' Crunch, topped with peanut butter, whipped cream, Reese's Pieces, peanut butter chips, and peanut butter sauce" really does sound like a heart attack. Probably best to stick with my favorite sticky stuff on my morning english muffin. 

Next food excursion is TBD, but be on the lookout. More to come soon enough. 

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. GAH!!! When you first posted about maybe going there and the peanut butter honey and banana sammy, I made them at home for my fam. We loved it! Now I want to make my own vanilla cream cheese and try the sliced apple one. I think I will use those cripsy SOUR pink ladies and not add sugar to the cream cheese, just vanilla flavoring. Hmmmm....sounds like dinner. As for the sweets...girl, I am coming to NYC after lent and you are taking me for brownies!

    ReplyDelete